Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The "X-Files: I Want To Believe" Review

I'm a huge X-Files fan - I've seen every episode (I think) and even recently bought the new X-Files comic book written by Frank Spotnitz. I love the characters, I love the mythology, I love everything about it.

So how did I like the new movie, X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE? I liked it. It probably played more like a TV movie - it was very low budget - but the characters were consistent and it was an above average thriller. I was on the edge of my seat most of the time.

Hell, it was just great to see Mulder and Scully again.

The film is, as they say, a "stand-alone" episode outside of the alien conspiracy mythology. It merges well with the final television episode as we see Mulder and Scully continue their romantic relationship - but it is very subdued and secondary to the plot, which starts as an investigation into a missing FBI agent, but quickly becomes an X-File as the FBI discovers a strange link between the agent, a number of missing bodies, and a pedophile with ESP.

The movie steamrolls into a classic horror X-File, and my only complaint is that the film doesn't "go for it" with some over-the-top shocking horror. It is content not to take any risks and just tell the story. Which is fine, because, as I said, I'm just happy that the X-Files are back.

This film is very entertaining, and I think even the marginal X-Files fan, or even someone that appreciates a great horror/crime story will enjoy it.

1 comment:

Erin Kubinek said...

I absolutely hated it.

Which really surprises me.
I Loved that show, the 1st 4 seasons are still some of the best television in history. And I usually can find a reason to like a film, but with not with this, not one single aspect was enjoyable or engaging.

I walked out of the theater flabbergasted, and rather sad.