Thursday, February 28, 2008

Who Should Play Bilbo Baggins?

I guarantee, I've got at least one name that will surpise you.

But let me first say, that I have no "inside" information whatsoever - these names are just my own little musings. Fun suggestions for whoever gets to cast THE HOBBIT (my hope is still GDT....unless he gets offered ATMOM by Universal Studios).

So let's start, shall we:

Ian Holm
You have to mention him as a possible candidate, just because he played Bilbo Baggins in LOTR. The problem is that he is getting up in years (76) and it would take a lot of energy to run around on Bilbo's adventure. Plus, I'm sure the studio would lean towards a younger, up-and-coming actor.





Martin Freeman
Ok, I'm probably jumping on the bandwagon for this one, but I have to admit he would be a good choice. Best known as Tim from THE (British) OFFICE, but also for playing Arthur Dent in THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. As Arthur Dent, he had the comedic "fish out of water" part nailed, which is what at least the first half of THE HOBBIT requires from Bilbo.

Brad Pitt
Just kidding.

And here's the name that's going to throw you off guard, but I can't help thinking it might work:

Steve Zahn

I'm going out on a limb here, but here me out. Ok, so he's not British. But he's a classically trained actor - surely he could pull of a British accent. And he's kind of got that "Hobbit look". Slap on some curly hair, some furry feat, a long pipe and Whammo - instant resident of the shire. But here's two reasons why I think he would be ideal: 1) He always plays the sidekick. And that's what Bilbo is - he's a sidekick that becomes the hero, and 2) He's just so damn likeable.


So there you have it - Zahn is my number one. GDT, if you get the job, pick up the phone and give Steve a call. He's probably fishing at his farm in Kentucky right now, just like a good hobbit should.

9 comments:

Löst Jimmy said...

I do like your Martin Freeman suggestion and of course Ian Holm, in fact Ian's age shouldn't matter. I recommend they charge him up with a Red Bull overload and he'll be ever ready for Bilbo's travels.

Anonymous said...

Being regretfully realistic about this, I know Ian Holm will not be doing it.

But, I'm so certain about my guess as to who they'd pick, that I'm almost hesitant to say. I'd hate to screw something up for GDT.

A few hints... He's the right nationality, the right age, he looks like Bilbo Baggins pretty much already, and he's already shown he's pretty good at killing spider monsters in a movie.

No, not Andy Serkis.

Parker said...

Killing spider monsters...hmmm.....Will Smith?? (ha!)

Hanorah said...

In The Hobbit, Bilbo's about the same age as Frodo is in LOTR, so it should be a fairly young actor 20s-30s)

My vote is Charlie Cox. He's a fairly unheard of name, which would be good in such a large role. Otherwise, my backup is Ewan McGregor.

Unknown said...

I've looked at all the suggestions on the web...Martin Freeman is hands down Bilbo (a Hobbit). Colin Firth is a second choice, but a little bit too large and too much of a "pretty boy". Martin Freeman, has both the nervous humor that Bilbo had and Martin has the looks/accent.

Anonymous said...

Ken Stott should play Bilbo. He would be the perfect choise for that role.

redsoxclover said...

You will probably all disagree with me but thats ok I think bilbo should be played by edward norton he is a fantastic actor and young and somewhat resembles ian holm

Unknown said...

I think that Steve Zahn is an inspired choice! I didn't even think of him, but when I read the suggestion, I thought "Yeah!" And he has a connection of sorts to the Lord of the Rings universe: he acted with Elijah Wood in Chain of Fools (great movie, btw)!

betty said...

Actually if you want to get technical about Bilbo and Frodo's ages in the books...Frodo did not set out on his journey with the ring until about 30 years after Bilbo left, making him about 50 years old or so. Bilbo was probably about 50 or 60 when he set off on his adventures in The Hobbit. So, an older Hobbit-looking actor would be most suitable. But Jackson didn't go for an older Frodo in LOTR so they probably go for a young Bilbo, too.