Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cold as the Mountains

Its cold here in Indiana.

I think it will get down to -7 this weekend. That's without windchill.

As I was walking in the dark to get my morning paper the other day (in my bathrobe and slippers) at 6 in the morning (the kid gets up at 5:30, so that means I get up at 5:30), it made me think how great the cold is for staging a good scary movie.

Dark. Desolate. Cold. The sting of the wind. Extreme cold is just a great storytelling device. I thought 30 DAYS OF NIGHT, although just being an above average movie/comic, used the setting brilliantly. Also THE THING ranks right up there (maybe even at the top) of great "horror movies in the snow".

I think horror fans are just waiting to see a GIANT horror film that takes us to the inescapable bitter cold.

That film should be AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS, don't you agree?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed I do :-D

AlexTuis said...

You know, when there is snow, the light are different even in the Dark.

Make me think about some passage in Harry Potter in the cemetary..there something special under snow.

Unknown said...

it seems though, that At The Mountains Of Mountains will never be made into a film.

It would be horrible so i'm not complaining...

Anonymous said...

Winter in Russia is beautiful. Red dark sun, splendent snow, devastated fields and ice sky. And razors of icicle on roofs and trees...

Charles said...

I've been waiting for this movie for years, I have a feeling I'll be waiting for years still. But...its the great work of the grandfather of horror, and Del Toro is probably the only person who can do it justice. Of course, the right way to do it, as DT has noted in interviews, is not exactly Hollywood executive friendly, but by the time he gets done with two Hobbits, I imagine he'll have the clout to do whatever he wants.