Friday, January 23, 2009

Happy 5th Anniversary DelToroFilms!

Wow - I can't believe it has been five years already. I have to say running this site has been a truly rewarding experience - I've been blessed to make some really good friends and meet some wonderfully interesting people. I'm glad that you all take the time to visit on a regular basis and enjoy the comradery here at DTF.

I believe this site has grown far beyond a simple GDT fansite - it has taken on a life of its own with people engaging their similar interests, sharing their artwork, and taking part in discussions that go beyond just Guillermo's work. This has become a community of like-minded souls.

For those of you who are curious - this site started in 2004 with a simple email. I would read the official Sony Hellboy message boards daily, but I never posted. One day Guillermo posted his fan email address, and I shot him a quick email telling him how much I enjoyed HELLBOY. To my surprise (a month later), he wrote me back, thanking me for my support. I later sent him another email with an idea - to build DelToroFilms.com. I would often scour the internet for news on GDT, having become a fan since THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE and BLADE II, but I could never find good information in one place. A little bit here, a little bit there. I proposed to GDT a fansite that would have all the news in one place. He was kind enough to endorse my efforts, sight unseen.

The first version of DTF was a little clunky, but it has gotten better over the years. I yearn for the time to make it better - because frankly, you all deserve the best.

At the Hellebration in 2008, Guillermo was impressed with how "civilized" the message board was. For that, you can all pat yourself on the back. I told Guillermo that, simply, I think his work attracts good people. Mutual respect, intelligent debate, and good natured fun has made this site what it is today.

I thank you all for your continued support - it has been a pleasure for me to be your host.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea that it had been 5 years. The first time I'd ever heard of Deltorofilms was from GDT himself. I heard him give his E-Mail address out on the commentary for HB- The Directors Cut, at least I think it was the directors cut. I of course had e-mailed him gushing like a fanboy, and he replied commenting personnaly on everything I said. I printed out his e-mail, showed it to everyone around me and hung it on my wall, where it remains to this day. Anywho, in his e-mail he pointed me to the site, specifically the message boards. He said that there was a great bunch of people there. He was right of course :-) . Happy Anniversary! Here's to 5 more years :-) everyone :-) .

theMothership said...

I'm one of those people who check your blog like 900 times a day, so if I can ever be of assistance in any way since my wife and I are del Toro FANATICS, drop me an email. I'd love to help the del Toro flame spread!!!

---Chuck

redrockerjr5150@hotmail.com

gdeo said...

NO....Thank you ,Parker!!!
you know how much i enjoy this site and cherish the people and friends that i have here(you included ,of course).Happy anniversary .Bud!!!

Here's to many more years of DTF!!!

Maxim said...

It's best project about GDT. I'm one of Guillermo's fans, and I'm very happy that I meet comrades. GTD's films is dream for my russian soul. Thanks!

Erin Kubinek said...

Its sounds totally cheesy to say, but this site (as well as the HB II site) has really actually and actively changed my life.

Kudos to you Parker for all the hard work!

Cupcakes to All!

AlexTuis said...

Crazy that I can not more since two years go on Deltorfilms, because of some strange internet conflict...

Well, I am happy to know this community stay alive because of you Parker and because of our good friends!
Hi to HM, Kusanagy, Lobster, Gedeo, GDT and others!